Our goal with the approximately 100 acres of woods is to restore the oak/hickory woodlands that predated commercial timber harvesting. This requires a mixture of planned disturbances, including:
- timber stand improvement (thinning out undesirable species)
- prescribe burning (to promote regeneration of oaks and hickories)
- selective timber sales (to open the canopy)
- invasive species removal (to promote growth of native grasses and forbs)
- creation of standing dead trees for wildlife (bats, flying squirrels, woodpeckers)
We currently have an additional 60 acres on which to complete timber stand improvement, and the property has been divided into several burn units. Periodic work on burn lines and coordination with prescribed fire resources allow us to burn the woods on regular intervals.